Transport to Health
This part of the Scheme provides transport to GP's surgeries, dentists, opticians and health related facilities (other than hospitals).
The service operates in exactly the same way as the main scheme but is a rural service only.
Transport cannot be provided for those living in an area with a NG24 postcode.
Clients should be over 60 or under 16 years. If not they will only qualify if they have a permanent or temporary disability which makes travelling on public transport difficult.
In addition to the above:
- Clients should be without access to alternative transport and family members should take them if at all possible
- Clients must live in Newark Sherwood or be registered with a GP in Newark Sherwood
- If a client is over 60 or under 16 but appears to be capable of using public transport they should be encouraged to do so
- Clients should be encouraged to press for appointments between the hours of 10.00am and 3.00pm whenever possible as public transport may be more easily available at that time
- Escorts are always allowed to accompany a client. Unaccompanied clients can always rely on the driver to assist them
- Wheelchair users must be accompanied by a capable escort
- All trips must be initially booked through GP’s surgery or other health worker who can vouch for client’s eligibility
- Clients must provide their name, address, phone number and appointment details, including clinic
- Other relevant information such as sight or hearing impairment, or the need for a walking frame or wheelchair should be mentioned
- If the patient is a child it is necessary to know the age of the child and whether a car seat needs to be supplied. A car seat is a legal requirement for children under the age of 10
- Clients under 16 must always be accompanied by an adult
- At least 48 hours notice is required. The Scheme is not an emergency service and last minute requests for transport cannot be guaranteed
- Once a driver has been allocated either the client or the referrer will be notified. The driver’s name, the pick up time and the cost will be confirmed
As all our drivers are volunteers there may be occasions when we don’t have sufficient drivers to meet demand and it should be noted that a booking doesn’t automatically guarantee a car.
For information contact Judy Byrom.
Newark & Sherwood CVS, 67 Northgate, Newark, Notts NG24 1HD
T: 01636 610773
The Scheme reserves the right to refuse transport for any individual whose behaviour, either by word or actions, may be considered detrimental to the comfort and well being of the driver and any passengers.
Any verbal or physical abuse towards staff will not be tolerated.
Parent Carer's Network
Voluntary Sector Network
Carers' Advisory Group
Mental Health Carers
A Celebration of Older People Kings and Queens for the Day!
Community fundraising and getting money from individuals
Men's Life, Men's Health Event
Carers Event "Prepared to Care?"
Newark Carnival 2013