Door2Door, Newark & Sherwood’s Social Car Service, has been operating since 2011.
Originally set up with money from a private Trust, at the present time the service receives funding from Nottinghamshire County Council through Grant Aid with some additional money coming from Newark & Sherwood CCG, other donations and client registration fees.
Door2Door has strong links with the Voluntary Transport Scheme with drivers happy to commit to both services.
To learn more about becoming a Volunteer Driver: Be a Volunteer Driver
How it works
- Clients register annually with Door2Door and thereafter pay a mileage charge to the driver to cover fuel costs
- Drivers are volunteers who have their own cars and must provide detailed information and undergo checks
- Volunteer drivers are recruited across the whole district to enable Door2Door to meet the needs of the whole community
- Drivers are provided with ID badges and Ready Reckoners to calculate charges
- A record is kept by Door2Door of all journeys undertaken, mileage and charges made
- Clients can book trips to any social occasions such community clubs, support groups, shopping, leisure activities or visiting friends and family, Church, hairdressers etc
Door2Door helps people in the community who have difficulty accessing affordable transport. The service is available to anyone over 60 or with a disability, either permanent or temporary living in the Newark & Sherwood district.
Registering with Door2Door
Registering is simple! Click on and download and print the registration form below, complete it and return it to us with the registration fee of £22 and £30 for a couple.
Door2Door Registration Form
- Call 01636 611220 to book a driver
- Clients must provide their name, address, telephone number, destination and times they wish to be collected and picked up
- Other relevant information such as the need for a walking frame or wheelchair should be mentioned
- Unfortunately we cannot guarantee drivers on every occasion as we do rely on volunteers for this service and a booking cannot always guarantee a car
- We will endeavour to find a driver as close to the client as possible as the mileage charge begins from the drivers home and back again but in some instances this means that charges may vary
- Door2Door will confirm the booking by calling the client back with the name of the driver and an estimate of the charge
The hope is to develop Door2Door through working with other agencies and making use of alternative transport such as community buses and minibuses.
For more information contact Lucy Fountain
Door2Door,Newark & Sherwood CVS, 67 Northgate, Newark, Notts NG24 1HD
T: 01636 611220
Door2Door reserves the right to refuse transport for any individual whose behaviour, either by word or actions, may be considered detrimental to the comfort and well being of the driver and any passengers.